Re: debian-keyring, what's happened?

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 11:13:32PM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> > I can see how unmaintained accounts which are in groups that have
> > some important permissions can be potentially harmful; but other
> > than that inactivity of some members doesn't seem detrimental.
>
> Well, you need to think about it then.  We don't recruit people, they
> volunteer.  People are much less likely to volunteer for a team (which
> does a lot of work) of 5 than a team of 2.

That's one way of thinking: some people will be more likely to volunteer for
participation in a larger team because it means they less work will be
required from them, and less responsibility.

> > It doesn't stop other members from contributing, in some cases, on
> > the contrary, it can urge the other members to do more.
>
> Err, so?  How is that a good thing?  Time is not some bottomless well
> that people can just dip into and get however much they want you know.

Well, we could start removing MIA people from groups, too.

(yeah, I know, there are probably several excruciating reasons why that
isn't possible :P)

> > > o) This is the keyring we're talking about, it's not like I can just
> > >    accept any developer who volunteers.
> >
> > Of all 550 developers, there must be someone that you can trust with such a
> > responsibility and who are willing to volunteer.
>
> a) it's nothing like 550 in the real world, and you know it,

Whatever the number is, there must be some who are suitable.

> b) if anything more than .5% of developers had actually volunteered to
> help you might be halfway to having a point.

That little people volunteered? That's strange... I'd volunteer but I know
you wouldn't accept me in :>

Anyway, -devel readers, anyone wanna volunteer? The requirements were pretty
much laid out in this thread.

> P.S.  You're wasting my time; if you want to carry this on, feel free,
> just don't except me to reply, and _don't_ Cc me, okay?

OK.

BTW even if this discussion is wasting your time right now, it sheds light
to what keyring maintenance is and will hopefully lower the amount of
`bitching and whining' in the future. Perhaps someone appropriate will
voluneer to help, even.