Re: Quake is GPL

On Sat, Dec 25, 1999 at 09:12:33PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 1999 at 10:00:41AM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > Hm, I don't think that the FTP-Maintainer should really take care about
> > this, because they are also not lawyers and I'm not interested to ask my
> > lawyer for every program on the server, if it's legal or not. If I set
> > up an mirror, I want to mirror the whole stuff and let the
> > author/maintainer of those stuff make sure, that everything is legal. So
> > I think the suggestion of Raul is a good solution for both sides.
>
> I'm also not going to willingly remove my packages from the Debian archive
> because your country has stupid laws.  Quake is already in non-free.  As
> is doom.  Both have been there quite awhile.  This has been pointed out
> already.

I'll add that it does not exist the legal stuff, it exists stuff legal with
respect to a certain set of laws.
If we really want to distribute only packages legal with respect to all the
law system in the world, we are going to have a lot of problems (and we are
not lawyers, either).
Frankly if a my package would have a similar problem, my behaviour would be
similar to your behaviour.
If I would be a mirror admin, my behaviour would be to not mirror any
suspect program (without consulting lawyers).

So I agree with you.

> --
> - Joseph Carter         GnuPG public key:   1024D/DCF9DAB3, 2048g/3F9C2A43
> - knghtbrd@debian.org   20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3
> <Manoj> I *like* the chicken

cheers

--