Re: recompile needed for xlib6g

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 08:17:50PM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> > > Programs compiled against slink xlib6g libraries won't run correctly
> > > when run with potato xlib6g libraries installed?
> >
> > I don't know that for sure.

It would be wise to confirm or deny that somehow before the release.

Has the SONAME changed for any of these libraries (in xlib6g)?

I haven't yet received any bug reports regarding gentoo, or xmms failing
because of newest X packages, FWIW.

> > But we do know there are binary-level issues between slink libc6 and
> > potato libc6.

99% of the programs compiled against slink libc6 libraries will run
correctly when run with potato libc6 libraries installed.

> > Since people will need to recompile against a newer libc6 anyway, why
> > not add the new xlib6g to the mix?
>
> Why will people NEED to recompile against a newer libc6?

Indeed, I saw no compelling reason to do so.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name