Re: Unsupported Debian [was: Re: [New maintainer] Working for De

Hi.

I want to clarify my point on this topic and close this thread. It
looks like most (all?) people here disagree with me, which is
legitimate. I want however to make clearer what my point was, since I
think I was misunderstood a couple of times in this thread.

There are indeed two issues for which an unofficial packages site is
needed. One is updates to slink, which is good. The other is new
packages from people who aren't members in Debian, which IMHO is not
as good. It's the easy way out; we need to fix the new-maintainer
problem instead, which may be much harder but is the way to go.

So those of you who shouted that I want to deprive Debian users from
Slink updates, this wasn't what I wanted, and actually putting Slink
updates in one place is a good idea and will help our users. I was
suggesting that we don't put unstable packages from new-maintainers
there but instead fix the real problem, because in the long run it
will NOT benefit our users.

To those who were offended by the word 'rogue': I'm not a native
English speaker, and I didn't know this word has such a strong
meaning, so please excuse me -- I didn't mean to imply what I did.

EOT. (I hope.)

--
Alex Shnitman                            | http://www.debian.org
alexsh@hectic.net, alexsh@linux.org.il   +-----------------------