Re: Perl 5.005 in potato

On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 09:22:49AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
<snip>
> I'm still convinced that the reason slink's freeze took so long is that
> some major packages were uploaded just prior to it, because they
> "needed" to be in. Just like people want to do with perl...

No, thats /not/ what we (Though I only speak for myself) are trying to
say, thats what the people who really just want to 'get it out' well
trying to keep people happy..

IMHO we should not freeze until we have a number of things working,
including fully functional boot disks, a cdrom generation setup, etc..

At the moment our release method is slow, we have tried simple ways to
speed things up, and it went even longer..

The really painful part is the freeze, we can get that shorter by being
ready BEFORE we freeze, I'd personally suggest a /voluntary/ 'no major
upload' time before the official freeze..

But we are going to have a long release cycle no matter what we do on
/this/ run, and probably the next one, so instead of waiting twice as
long (give or take a little), we get potato up to date, stable, then
release..

Probably not the best answer, but better then delaying perl 5.005 which
was promised to be in potato until woody..

Zephaniah E. Hull..
(AKA Mercury)

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801