Re: Perl 5.005 in potato

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 03:35:01PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 05:57:15PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> > > I disagree. One of the major complaints I get about Debian by
> > > colleagues is that its Perl is out of date. We should at the
> > > very least update to the latest 5.004 release (unless it's been
> > > snuck in there already and I didn't notice :)
> >
> > The major complaint I hear is that debian takes too long between
> > releases. Redoing everything that touches perl isn't going to help that
> > concern. If someone wants to package it, great--but it's not worth
> > holding up the release for it.

AOL!

> I disagree..  I think in this case the extra time spent updating our perl
> is worth it.  In this case.  In some cases, I wouldn't have thought so.

This is the kind of thing that makes debian's devel cycle so long. If perl
is left out this time, it speeds that process up, and perl can be snuck in
within three months or so when woody is released.
	Now, if we could get the release cycle that short that is. But, the
fewer major changes per release there are, the closer we'll be
to making this a reality -- and thus, nobody will have any reason to worry
about the 'latest' version of anything...

Just my two cents

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

"...Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing..."
	-- Ralph Waldo Emerson