emacsen byte compile (was Re: Unconditional prompting from dotfile packages)

eichin@thok.org (Mark W. Eichin) writes:

> Certainly don't wait.  However, perhaps we could come up with a
> serialized queue of optional bytecompiles/cleanups/whatever that get
> scheduled by the install but run at a good time? In particular, to
> make sure they finish, if interrupted by a reboot, but also to keep
> them from whomping the machine in parallel?

This is Richard Braakman's domain, but I'll chime in and say I think
this would be a bad idea.  I think it would make it very hard to
diagnose and the systems installed on could be in so many different
states that the mgmt problems outweigh the install benefits.

However, maybe the emacsen-common package could have a config file
such that you could set it to *not* do byte compilations at install
time, and instead give the sysadmin a command where she can run byte
compilation at her leisure, manually.

> And to give the sysadmin
> *one* place to look for things that scrolled off during the update,
> but are still worth doing?

Yes, this is the issue of a dpkg log. I think this is definately worth
doing.