Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

In linux.debian.devel, you wrote:

>Yup, this is the biggest problem with Debian - and it is why I'm very
>surprised that Corel chose to base their distro on Debian.  IMHO, Debian
>is a very poor choice to base a "user friendly" installation on,
>because you would have to rewrite the install scripts of half of the
>packages.

   It's a problem, but not this bad.  On a potato system with 684
packages:

cd /var/lib/dpkg/info
egrep read *.postinst | wc -l
181

   Many (a third?  half?) are comments, strings, or readlink
statements.  Others are only executed if some other condition is met
(eg. the kernel package warning if you already have a module
directory).  Corel could patch up 50-100 install scripts by July, or
just drop those packages from their distribution.

   I'd like to see anything that prompts unconditionally dropped below
Standard prioirity though.  dotfile* come to mind.