Re: Perl modules and perl upgrade

Le Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 07:10:05AM -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull écrivait:
> The point is that we don't have versioned provides, and the reason for
> perl5.005 to be separated in the first place is that in same areas its
> /NOT/ compatible with perl5.004, and perl5.006 may not be compatible
> with perl5.005 or perl5.04 in all areas..

Stop kidding... 99,99 % of the *scripts* (I don't speak of binary module here)
that worked with perl5.004 does still work with perl5.005 !

That's why a perl program/script have to depend on perl5 and nothing more.
Having to change all dependencies each time a new perl comes out
would be a major pain ! (If this package really needs a versionned
depends then (and only then) it should depend on the specific package
until versionned provides does work)

Furthermore all non-binary perl modules does work on perl5.005 exactly the
same with the standard perl (you can have problem with perl-thread). And
the binary-modules just need to be recompiled.

> For programs which will work with perl5.004 or 5.005 then they can
> depend on (perl5.004 | perl5.005), but we have no way of knowing if they

:( No ... can you seriously think we can do with things like that forever ?

> > Wrong because all binary modules will have to be recompiled for
> > perl5.005-thread ... threaded and non-threaded binary modules
> > are incompatible.
>
> Exactly, that is why the @INC path for perl5.005 should not include the
> module path for perl5.004 (The current one, which is unversioned)..

This has nothing to do with the fact that binary-modules aren't compatible
between threaded and non-threaded perl.

perl and perl-thread will have different @INC, so there will be no problems
with modules :
- all modules will be in versionned directories
- all perls will use versionned directories before eventually looking
  in /usr/lib/perl5
- the directories for binary-modules are not the same for perl & perl-thread
  and they are also versionned (ARCH/VERSION or ARCH-thread/VERSION)
- all binary modules will have to be compiled twice ... one for threaded
  and one for non-threaded (I don't know if we will add both in one
  package or if source package will produce two binary packages ...)

> It may be a semi-minor annoyance, but it allows for perl5.005-thread to
> be just another perl version, just like perl5.005, and perl5.006..

At the present time, perl5.005-thread would never be /usr/bin/perl as
it's still experimental. So it's not « just another version ».

Anybody who does want to use the threaded perl in his scripts can
write #!/usr/bin/perl-thread at the top of his script ...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/