Re: Perl modules and perl upgrade

Raphael Hertzog, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
>Programs that have their own modules that are not intended to be used
>by other perl scripts should install their package in a personal
>directory (like /usr/lib/<package>) and indicate in the scripts where
>to find the modules (with a « use lib '/usr/lib/<package>' »). I think
>it's the best way to prevent other path-related problems with perl.
>We should do the same for Debian specific module but we can allow
>to put those modules to /usr/lib/perl5/Debian and also add a
>« use lib '/usr/lib/perl5/Debian' » to the scripts that uses them.

Uhm, should that be /usr/lib/perl5/<package> if they're Perl modules?

>I'll try a summary but I may be wrong on some points :
>- perl programs/scripts should still depend on perl (perl should be
>  provided by perl5.005 even if perl may be a dummy package that would depend
>  on the latest perl => if a package depend on a specific perl they'll need
>  to change the dependency to perl5.005 or we may encounter problems
>  with versionned provides !)

Actually, they should depend on perl5 if they don't need a specific
version.  My plan is to send a message to debian-devel proposing perl5
as a virtual package.  This isn't necessary since all the versions of
Perl are by definition co-operating packages.

>- there is currently no policy for the possible perl-thread, but that can
>  be easily added when perl-thread will be packaged

My current plan is to implement perl-thread in the same way
that perl-debug is implemented, just with more files.  Since I haven't
done it yet, I don't know if it will work.  We'll see.

>Wrong because all binary modules will have to be recompiled for
>perl5.005-thread ... threaded and non-threaded binary modules
>are incompatible.

Not really.  You'll just need to recompile any binary packages for the
new architecture.  No one should use perl-thread unless they
specifically ask for it; especially in the maintenance versions.

John Lapeyre, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
>	I do see a problem though.  What about scripts ?  Scripts should all
>point to /usr/bin/perl, but we need simultaneous versions of perl.  I guess
>/etc/alternatives can only point to one perl at a time.  But some scripts
>will need different versions depending on which modules they are using. I am
>confused, maybe I don't understand something.

Well, yes, all general scripts should point to /usr/bin/perl.  If you
need a specific version of Perl though, you can either use
/usr/bin/perl$(version) or if you only need that version or higher, you
can add 'use $(version);' instead (or even as well).

Darren

P.S. I'm sorry I've been such a lame-ass about updating Perl.  I am on
meds for my ADD (bupropion HCl.  Unfortunately, I needed to do lots of
work for my paying job and make them happy first.  But more things are
under control now.
- --
<torin@daft.com> <http://www.daft.com/~torin> <torin@debian.org> <torin@io.com>
Darren Stalder/2608 Second Ave, @282/Seattle, WA 98121-1212/USA/+1-800-921-4996