Re: Perl modules and perl upgrade

Could people please take a look at the archives?
I'll comment however we have gone over this before, not very long ago
actually..

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 11:02:41AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 04:30:13PM -0700, John Lapeyre écrivait:
<snip>
> > the policy will be for the new perl modules. Will we follow the default
> > installation that perl 5.005  provides (at least for those mods under
> > /usr/lib/perl5 ) ?  It might be nice to have an archive with all of the
> > discussion in it.  Picking threads out of devel from the past few months is
> > not a savory proposition !
>
> I'll try a summary but I may be wrong on some points :
> - all CPAN perl modules will use the versionned directories and they'll
>   depend on perl5.005 (and NOT perl). That way, when perl5.006 comes out
>   they won't break.

All perl modules.. (Though at some point a bit for common perl modules
may become useful, there are some very hazardous traps with doing such)

> - perl programs/scripts should still depend on perl (perl should be
>   provided by perl5.005 even if perl may be a dummy package that would depend
>   on the latest perl => if a package depend on a specific perl they'll need
>   to change the dependency to perl5.005 or we may encounter problems
>   with versionned provides !)

No, the perl and perl-base packages will be completely empty and will
always depend on the perl5.004 packages, they will be there to ease
upgrades from slink and earlier, nothing more..

> - there is currently no policy for the possible perl-thread, but that can
>   be easily added when perl-thread will be packaged

With my scheme it will be trivial to add a perl5.005t or however you
want to name it, just treat it as another version of perl..

Zephaniah E. Hull.
<snip>

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801