Re: DPLs : what do you think about ...

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 04:57:06PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 01:40:09PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > The following people are undecided or thier response was unclear:
>
> you missed the ones that emailed me privately

... and you missed the ones that did not reply at all.

In fact I was very much behind your proposal (hmm, is this good wording?) but
the arguments against it made clear to me that this is not an option. I tried
to make a little chart of the pros and cons:

Pro:

- frozen would be released faster
    I think this would be the case - but I would not be such a difference.
    Most of the release-critical bugs are quite hard to fix. I tried to find
    the bug in dpkg which creates circular symlinks. I understood that I have
    to study the source very much to catch this bug. If every developer is
    searching for this bug in his spare time he would use - say - one hour and
    not find it. That's a big waste of affort with 300+ developers... And it
    would probably not help...

- less diskspace required
    I do not see this point. We have to keep stable when working on unstable
    so this will shift only the time...

Cons:

- "dead" unstable branch
    This is not really a problem but some people rely on the unstable branch
    for some things. For example it would be very good to have a new
    XFree-release ASAP because someone will need the new drivers. Or you need
    a feature that is missing in the stable version.

- workload on ftp maintainers when frozen gets released

Hmm, there were other aspects but I deleted the old mails and my modem keeps
returning "BUSY".

cu
    Torsten