Re: DPLs : what do you think about ...

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 09:21:14AM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 07:17:58PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > FWIW, I'm against this for a reason you may not have considered. This makes
> > > it impossible to work on making large changes to debian-only packages during
> > > a freeze, which in turn means that they can only really be worked on about
> >
> > People should be concentrating on getting the frozen dist complete, not
> > making changes to packages for unstable. If we do it this way, it is
>
> Great mind set. Sorry, but this is certainly not the mindset I'd like to see
> in a DPL. Could it be you suffer from the same delusion as many commercial
> project leaders and believe the PL has any authority. A classical project
> leader has NO authority. This is only an administrative job. You're not
> given any authority.

I never even gave a hint as to feeling that a DPL was all powerful. This
whole topic (as you jumped into it) was concerning an idea I had that I
would _like_ to see implemeted if I were elected as DPL (assuming the
usual consensus of support). Please don't assume that I have delusions of
dictoral control. You also fail to notice that this was a small idea in
connection with my belief that our system needs to have more focus, not an
attempt to crush the development cycle.

> Anyway, back to the topic, I do not have a single package in with an open
> bug. That is I have some listed on me but they are about packages I gave
> away some time ago. So what shall I do while slink is frozen? Grab the
> source of other packages and do NMUs? Won't work for me as I neither have
> time nor desire to dig into most of these packages. I have done many bug fix
> NMUs over the years I'm here but I won't do that for packages that I either
> don't use or cannot handle (like X over a slow modem, besides X is
> maintained so there's no need for NMUs). So I just sit down and relax.
> Great. But after all I have reasons for spending so much time on Debian.
>
> > anything to do with your packages for frozen, take a break or pitch in
> > with the "Bug Group" or help other maintainers get their packages bug
> > free.
>
> Exactly what I said above. Maybe your short time with Debian leads you to
> these assumptions, but I'm pretty much sure they won't work at all.
>
> Frankly I don't believe I'm the only one who's kind of shocked seeing your
> mindset.

Personally I am very disappointed in the "package" mindset of some
developers. The thinking that there is nothing for a maintainer to do
but build their packages. Most people joined Debian in hopes of being
involved with a productive and well bonded community, not to spew out a
few packages every so often.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org