Re: DPLs : what do you think about ...

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 07:17:58PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > FWIW, I'm against this for a reason you may not have considered. This makes
> > it impossible to work on making large changes to debian-only packages during
> > a freeze, which in turn means that they can only really be worked on about
>
> People should be concentrating on getting the frozen dist complete, not
> making changes to packages for unstable. If we do it this way, it is

Great mind set. Sorry, but this is certainly not the mindset I'd like to see
in a DPL. Could it be you suffer from the same delusion as many commercial
project leaders and believe the PL has any authority. A classical project
leader has NO authority. This is only an administrative job. You're not
given any authority.

Anyway, back to the topic, I do not have a single package in with an open
bug. That is I have some listed on me but they are about packages I gave
away some time ago. So what shall I do while slink is frozen? Grab the
source of other packages and do NMUs? Won't work for me as I neither have
time nor desire to dig into most of these packages. I have done many bug fix
NMUs over the years I'm here but I won't do that for packages that I either
don't use or cannot handle (like X over a slow modem, besides X is
maintained so there's no need for NMUs). So I just sit down and relax.
Great. But after all I have reasons for spending so much time on Debian.

> anything to do with your packages for frozen, take a break or pitch in
> with the "Bug Group" or help other maintainers get their packages bug
> free.

Exactly what I said above. Maybe your short time with Debian leads you to
these assumptions, but I'm pretty much sure they won't work at all.

Frankly I don't believe I'm the only one who's kind of shocked seeing your
mindset.

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Manager of the Western Branch Office, Datenrevision GmbH
work: Cuxhavener Str. 36, D-21149 Hamburg, Michael.Meskes@datenrevision.de