Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 09:55:44AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 11:57:49PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Why? What is the technical reason for that? If it is confusing for the user,
> > we should fix our installation software to make it obvious what happens. My
> > point is that we want to distribute as much free software as we can. Putting
> > them on the ftp server or on the CD is in no way confusing. If it is in the
> > installation programs, they should be fixed. This is what I meant with
> > "improving our current system to handle such cases".
>
> The point is, if they don't have all the other packages that a certain
> package depends on then it means they shouldn't have because they can't
> legally get it. Why give some one ssl-telnet if they can't legally get
> libssl that they need to install it?

Because downloading from a far mirror increases the bandwidth and costs
more money because it takes longer? Some people pay per minute, you know...

John said what is on the CD is not necessarily what is on the ftp site.
However, I can only hope the CD vendors are more aware of the costs than you
seem to be. (actually, one german CD vendor is, so it is not me having this
problem).

Marcus
paying about 120 US dollar for the phone bill just for Debian traffic each month.