Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 08:25:42PM -0600, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann writes:
> > This only shows that we have to improve our current system a bit to
> > handle such cases. apt gui should inform the user if a package is not
> > installable because the dependencies can't be resolved because of
> > export/import restrictions.
>
> Packages should inherit the restrictions of packages they depend on.  Then
> a French server or CD would not contain anything that depends on gpg.

Why? What is the technical reason for that? If it is confusing for the user,
we should fix our installation software to make it obvious what happens. My
point is that we want to distribute as much free software as we can. Putting
them on the ftp server or on the CD is in no way confusing. If it is in the
installation programs, they should be fixed. This is what I meant with
"improving our current system to handle such cases".

Thank you,
Marcus