Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 02:03:25AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:

> > > This is the wrong way.  This will destroy the well thought dependency
> > > system of Debian.  We have dependencies and recommends because package
> > > need other packages.  We cannot break this or we will end up in a
> > > screwed system.  Dependencies and Recommends exist for a reason, not
> > > for the time being.
> >
> > "This will destroy the well thought dependency system of Debian"??? Why so?
> >
> > We have apt, apt can get the packages from anywhere. It doesn't care if it
> > is ftp.us.debian.org or ftp.de.debian.org. The dependencies work either way.
>
> Please consider to install Debian (via apt if you like) from the
> OfficialCD nr. 1 which is/was produced and distributed in the us and
> is also sold to overseas.

This only shows that we have to improve our current system a bit to handle
such cases. apt gui should inform the user if a package is not installable
because the dependencies can't be resolved because of export/import
restrictions.

This only means that some packages are not directly installable from the CD,
because they depend on packages that can't be exported from the US. Either
order from a local vendor or use ftp to get these additional packages.

In fact, this would make it easier for the user to get the packages, not
harder. I don't claim that it works out of the box with our current system.
But the necessary changes are neither impossible nor very hard.

Marcus