Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 10:47:55AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Davide G. M. Salvetti wrote:
> > MS> However due to lame crypto law it still cannot go into main and
> > MS> thus no package in main may depend/recommend on/ it.
> >
> > I do understand it's a difficult situation, but what I don't
> > understand is that you are unwilling to consider alternative
> > solutions.  We may work toward a dependence design that warns the CD
>
> Please propose alternative solutions.
>
> > user that some selected package depends on some other package which is
> > not on his CD for some reason, asking him to confirm selection (if he
> > happens to have another CD with that package) or not.  It's a
>
> This is the wrong way.  This will destroy the well thought dependency
> system of Debian.  We have dependencies and recommends because package
> need other packages.  We cannot break this or we will end up in a
> screwed system.  Dependencies and Recommends exist for a reason, not
> for the time being.

"This will destroy the well thought dependency system of Debian"??? Why so?

We have apt, apt can get the packages from anywhere. It doesn't care if it
is ftp.us.debian.org or ftp.de.debian.org. The dependencies work either way.

The dependencies are the technical background why we are able to have
seperated repositories.

All I am asking for is reckognizing free software regardless of national
law.

> You forgot that at the same time I was proposing to open non-IT to
> carry the package.  If the package would stay in main Debian would
> not be able to be used, sold, copied etc. in italy.  Do you want
> that?  I don't.  What's the solution for this?  Currently I can
> only see to remove the packages in question out of main and move
> them into a different repository.  This will ensure Debian won't
> be legal in a country c and that their inhabitants can benefit from
> this fine collection of free software.

So why do you object calling this different repository a part of main? Local
vendors can cope with the problem locally (not put them on CD). dpkg should
be extended to give a useful message if the dependency can't be fulfilled
because of national law (this is an easy change, just another control field).

> >   - non-US mixes free and not free packages, thus hides the real
> >     status of them; I don't know of others, but to me it's very
> >     important to know if a package is free or not, before installing
> >     it on my system.  I find this inconvenient;
>
> Since non-US has grown alas, I agree that this is a problem.  However
> solving this would make the whole situation more complicated.

I get the impression that some people on this thread simply don't want to
solve it.

Marcus