Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

Hi,

 Enrique> On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 11:47:09PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 >> Well, there should be a mechanism provided, and it should be
 >> as empty as possible. In this case, what if I have a multiuser
 >> multilingual system, and Debian insists on providing one uniform
 >> language?

 Enrique> I said preferred, not forced. Any user can override the
 Enrique> global settings in his own .bash_profile, .cshrc or
 Enrique> whatever... In a multilingual system s/he will have to do it
 Enrique> anyway.

	Not good enough. I should not have to goo rooting in the
 /etc/env directory after each upgrade to find what I have to over
 ride.

	As long as we are merely talking about mechanisms that the sys
 admin can use to set defaults for all shells, I am enthusiastically
 in favour.

	As soon as you start talking about packages that do this be
 default, and without permission; I object strongly.

 >> Therefore packages should not put in env variables into my
 >> shell without my consent.

 Enrique> But, in a way, they are putting LANG=C (the default) into
 Enrique> your shell without your consent! If you need a different
 Enrique> value you have to override the default. What's the
 Enrique> difference? Just a different default.

	Because that is a default that is common to all unices, and is
 something I have come to know and depend on. Peoplae have adjusted
 their startup scripts to accomodate this. Changing the command
 interpreter on a whim is not acceptable. If the mechanism is in
 place, the local site may choose whatever they want. The vendor
 should never do this.

	manoj
--
 "The only real valuable thing is intuition." Albert Einstein On
 Knowledge