Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

On Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 10:55:57PM -0700, Guy Maor wrote:
> Martin Schulze <joey@kuolema.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:
>
> >    Therefore I believe that we should elaborate a mechanism that can be
> >    used for all shells. This could be /etc/profile.d/ containing scripts
> >    or fragments. It could alternatively contain some data that will be
> >    evaluated and changed into code that can be read by the used shell.
>
> I completely disagree with this proposal.  Packages should be
> configured so that they run correctly without any environment
> variables or other cruft set.

What about LANG=foo ? I would like to choose the preferred language for my
system at install time, and have every shell inherit that setting. With
the current scheme, I have to modify a file for each shell installed, and
manually synchronize them with the Debian version every time the shell
maintainer modifies that file and I upgrade the package.  With the
/etc/profile.d proposal I only have to put that variable in single file,
and don't worry about upgrades.

--
Enrique Zanardi						ezanardi@ull.es