Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

http://master.debian.org/~joey/goals/2.1/profile.html

Support for multipackages users profile

   At the moment we have /etc/profile for bourne shells /etc/cshrc for C
   shells and /etc/zshrc for zsh as main configuration file that are
   issued when a user logs in. Also at the moment there is no mechanism
   for packages to register either variables or programs that have to be
   issued when the users logs in. The policy even prohibits this since
   these are not configuration files of the given package.

   Therefore I believe that we should elaborate a mechanism that can be
   used for all shells. This could be /etc/profile.d/ containing scripts
   or fragments. It could alternatively contain some data that will be
   evaluated and changed into code that can be read by the used shell.

Regards,

	Joey

--
VFS: no free i-nodes, contact Linus  -- finlandia, Feb '94