Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 11:47:09PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Enrique" == Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:
>
>  Enrique> What about LANG=foo ? I would like to choose the preferred
>  Enrique> language for my system at install time, and have every shell
>  Enrique> inherit that setting. With the current scheme, I have to
>  Enrique> modify a file for each shell installed, and manually
>  Enrique> synchronize them with the Debian version every time the
>  Enrique> shell maintainer modifies that file and I upgrade the
>  Enrique> package.  With the /etc/profile.d proposal I only have to
>  Enrique> put that variable in single file, and don't worry about
>  Enrique> upgrades.
>
> 	Well, there should be a mechanism provided, and it should be
>  as empty as possible. In this case, what if I have a multiuser
>  multilingual system, and Debian insists on providing one uniform
>  language?

I said preferred, not forced. Any user can override the global settings
in his own .bash_profile, .cshrc or whatever... In a multilingual system
s/he will have to do it anyway.

> 	Therefore packages should not put in env variables into my
>  shell without my consent.

But, in a way, they are putting LANG=C (the default) into your shell
without your consent! If you need a different value you have to override
the default. What's the difference? Just a different default.

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es