Re: FHS: Wholesale conversion is wrong

Hi,
>>"Richard" == Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:

 Richard>   1. Policy change: all files installed in /usr/share must be pointed
 Richard>      to by symlinks not in /usr/share.  (Note that this is already
 Richard>      required by the FSSTND, section 6.3)

	I object. This would break the emacsen policy, and would break
 packages like miscfiles, that install files only in /usr/share. And
 read the FSSTND again. It is not as strict as you make it out to be.

One note: no program should ever reference anything in /usr/share.  For
instance, a manual page program should never directly look in
/usr/share/man/man1/ls.1, but it should refer to /usr/man/man1/ls.1 at
all times.  Anything in /usr/share will be "pointed to" by the use of
symlinks from other areas in the filesystem, such as /usr/man,
/usr/lib/<something>, etc.

	No program ever looks at the files installed by miscfiles; and
 I have no intention of creating something in /usr/lib just so I can
 satisfy this rule. And the emacsen-policy is already FHS compliant,
 requiring the symlinks to make it FSSTND compliant is backwards.

 Richard> What do you think of this proposal?

	I like it for the most part, apart from insisting on the
 smlinks and the lintian check.

	manoj

--
 Software Engineering: How to program if you cannot.  Dijkstra