Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

Martin Schulze wrote:
> > I disagree with this. The real reason update-menus backgrounds itself and
> > runs after dpkg is that it needs to be able to see what the dpkg status file
> > looks like after dpkg is done installing packages. Update-env doesn't need
> > this, so it shouldn't use this complicated and error-prone mechanism.
>
> I'd like to see it here for exactly the same reason.
>
> Why doen't update-menus work at once?  Because during a new installation
> it'll re-create all the files 50 times, at every invocation.  The same
> applies to update-env.  Since it won't be called more than 10 time this
> is not so important but still takes time which is not needed.

No. Read what I said. Update-menus does not work at once not for reasons of
speed, but because at the time it is run in the postinst, dpkg has not yet
updated the status database to say if the package is properly installed.
This is not an issue for update-env, so it should run immediatly.

--
see shy jo