Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> What's wrong with using the non-interactive frontends? Or a non-interactive
> option for normal frontends?

I guess I haven't thought the non-interactive frontends through. I was under
the impression they had to be pre-seeded with data about the questions. If
they can just return the default to everything (and everything has a sane
default of course), that handles non-interactive installs nicely.

It still doesn't handle the concept that some questions are more important
than others. Ie,

"do you want to run lilo to update the system to use the new kernel image?"
Is very important (system may not boot without it).

"do you want xfig to be in color or black and white?"
Is unimportant and if you're in a rush you may want to ignore all such
questions.

> I haven't got Ian's proposal in my archives here. Can you mail it or do
> you have an URL somewhere?

I can't find it. :-( It was posted to debian-devel or -policy within the
past 2 months, IIRC.

--
see shy jo