Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@wiggy.ml.org> wrote:
> The shell sets those up itself when it starts. bash reads /etc/profile,
> csh read something else (I always forget what exactly). If we add a
> update-profiles to generate /etc/profile and variants for other shells
> from the files in /etc/profile.d the shell reads that on startup on
> you're on.

Ok, but what's the scope of this change?

For example, the only thing es reads at startup is $HOME/.esrc (and that
only if it's a login shell), rc is similar (the only thing it reads at
startup is $HOME/.rcrc and only if it's a login shell).

Are we planning on modifying everything that a user might have as a login
shell so that it has some /etc script which can be generated for it?

Also, note that window managers started up by xdm don't start up
login shells.  I presume that that means that xdm would have to have a
similar script?

Finally, as I've thought about this I've become concerned about
long-lasting sessions.  Asking people to log out and log back in again
is not a whole lot more friendly than asking them to reboot.  And, some
kinds of sessions (some window managers, screen) don't make it easy to
update their environment.  Are we planning on modifying these as well?

--
Raul