Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

Previously Raul Miller wrote:
> For example, the only thing es reads at startup is $HOME/.esrc (and that
> only if it's a login shell), rc is similar (the only thing it reads at
> startup is $HOME/.rcrc and only if it's a login shell).

I consider that broken behaviour. There should be a possibility to
configure some things globally and let users override that. Doesn't
it use something like /etc/esrc.profile first and after that loads
~/.esrc ?

> Are we planning on modifying everything that a user might have as a login
> shell so that it has some /etc script which can be generated for it?

Well, that's was my suggestion. I wouldn't mind implementing it, it's
actually quite easy.

> Also, note that window managers started up by xdm don't start up
> login shells.  I presume that that means that xdm would have to have a
> similar script?

login shells and normal shells both read some global files on startup.
There are ways to make them include a common file. Indeed most shells
have a command called source which does just that.

> Finally, as I've thought about this I've become concerned about
> long-lasting sessions.  Asking people to log out and log back in again
> is not a whole lot more friendly than asking them to reboot.  And, some
> kinds of sessions (some window managers, screen) don't make it easy to
> update their environment.  Are we planning on modifying these as well?

"exec shell". Easy as cake. And don't dare to suggest to have a shell
that automatically rereads a configfile when it's changed. That can give
highly surprising and wrong results. (somebody actually suggested it
once).

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl