Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

Previously Raul Miller wrote:
> How about I simplify things a bit:

That's more an example then an simplification, but here we go..

> Say I have /usr/bin/es as my shell, and I'm always logging in through ssh.
> The system has been up for 3 months, and I'm installing a new package.
> which has been implemented to tweak some environmental variables so that
> things continue to work smoothly.
>
> What sets the environmental variables?

The shell sets those up itself when it starts. bash reads /etc/profile,
csh read something else (I always forget what exactly). If we add a
update-profiles to generate /etc/profile and variants for other shells
from the files in /etc/profile.d the shell reads that on startup on
you're on.

> I'm presuming that I have to terminate all my existing sessions and
> restart, or run something manually from within my existing sessions
> or things won't work properly, but how would these two procedures
> work?

Either restart the shell so it reads /etc/profile, or source it manually.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl