Re: Debian i386 freeze

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 06:31:19PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> I wish we'd just not distrbute the binaries until the matter was
> sorted out.  I don't think I'm the only one.

you are not alone. I wish it too.

> Someone else has already posted to the effect that red hat doesn't
> distribute kde.  If this is true (or, for that matter, even if it isn't),
> you have to ask why we (the free software guys) are so eager to distribute
> software under such questionable license terms.

I believe, that redhat don't ship kde.
I have search on our RedHat-mirror (sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de) and
have found gnome but not one kde-package.
Redhat pay people to make gnome but don't pay for kde.

> Finally, from what I see, the people who want to distribute kde are
> ignorant or confused about why it's a problem.

The number of mails in the news, in the kernel-list and on debian-devel show:
there is a problem.

We should go the save way and remove the kde-binarys from debian.

BTW: for the next release (in 4 months?) we an make a deb-package with the
     source and a dpkg-buildpackage; dpkd -i in the postinst.

Grisu