Re: Debian i386 freeze

Hi,

	I had been staying out of this debate, but this really got my
 goat (what is the etymology and history of _that_ phrase?).

>>"David" == David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

 David> I guess the thing that irks me to some degree is that we seem
 David> to do the 'cover our butt' thing rather than really get to the
 David> bottom of a lot of these legal issues.

	You want to take it to a moral level? Morality is a personal
 thing (I would be opposed to KDE on purely moral grounds, but that is
 me). However, there _are_ other issues involved, and liability should
 not be taken lightly.

	And why should we really be trying to get to the bottom of
 this for the sake of a non-free piece of software that is not even a
 part of debian (or software that depends on something like that)?

 David> It's kind of irritating seeing problems that don't get
 David> resolved,

	You just want swift resolution? Fine. Let us just throw out
 KDE and relating things, and poof. Problem resolved. No way can we be
 violating icences if we do not distribute the software in
 contention. And we have a distrivution that is more free.

 David> and, because of the legal guessing of some programmers, we end
 David> up doing one thing, whereas others do another (Calder and SUSE
 David> will distribute KDE).

	So, the whole world is not identical, and there are
 differences. Your point?

 David> I don't like seeing problems go unanswered like this.  I wish
 David> we could do more to determine things with certainty one way or
 David> another.

	Yup, and I would like to end world hunger, global warming, and
 strife.  Unless you get a lawyer for every jurisdiction we may be
 sued in, and they are sure of the stances, you shall never have
 this. Why are we doing this for something that is not part of Debian
 in the first place?

	Also, I like my house. I do not like KDE enough to even dream
 of putting it at risk in a law suit.

 David> but.. in a lot of these cases, my desire to resolve problems
 David> wins out over my dislike of non-free stuff...

	As I said, resolution is easy -- drop the KDE packages. They
 are not part of Debian.

	The problem comes from trying to deal with things that are
 borderline free (borderline enough for us to be having a raging
 discussion about this) for the sake of our users.

	manoj

--
 All-conquering and all-knowing am I. Amidst all states of mind,
 unaffected am I. By abandoning everything, I am liberated by the