Re: Debian i386 freeze

Hi,
>>"David" == David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

 David> I did not say moral.  I intend "get to the bottom of" in this
 David> case as "resolve it with someone who is a professional in the
 David> legal field" more or less, as neither you nor I, nor anyone
 David> else who has spoken to the issue has, afaik, legal training.
 David> I don't know where you see 'moral' in the above statement.

	Oh. I went from "cover our butts" expedience to the opposite,
 morality.

 >> You just want swift resolution? Fine. Let us just throw out
 >> KDE and relating things, and poof. Problem resolved. No way can we be
 >> violating icences if we do not distribute the software in
 >> contention. And we have a distrivution that is more free.

 David> Once again, where did you see anything about "swift"?  Your
 David> arguments are usually quite valid without having to put words
 David> in people's mouths.

	Hmm. I stand corrected. If you truly want to get to the bottom
 of things, however, I don't know if it possible, and indeed, is not
 practical. We would need to hire professionals, which takes money,
 unless we are luck enough to get people to work pro bono on this.

	And then we have to do thie in every country where We could
 get sued from.

	And then, that may not mean much since Brian brought up
 enforceability. You see, merely a lawyers opinion may not be enough,
 for the licences may not have been challenged on court.

 David> No, laws are laws (I suppose we could argue that point, but that is
 David> completely beyond the scope of Debian.)  I am talking about whether we
 David> can distribute KDE legally.  Some people feel we cannot.  Other people
 David> are doing it.  I don't really see how both of these can be valid
 David> points of view, given existing laws.  Perhaps different judges would
 David> interpret things differently, but I *am not a lawyer* and therefore
 David> will not speculate on the issue.  I think only someone associated with
 David> the legal profession would be able to tell us with more certainty
 David> which side is correct, and, how concrete their position is.

	Also, as you say, courts do interpret the law, and the courts
 do have shifting trends in opinions, so a law may be interpreted
 differently, to be more in tune with the current society.

	Laws do not exist in a vacuum either.

 >> Also, I like my house. I do not like KDE enough to even dream
 >> of putting it at risk in a law suit.

 David> I think the lawsuit thing is a bit of a bogeyman.

	Perhaps. But this is my first house, and we got a really sweet
 deal. I love the place. So pardon me for being a trifle paranoid ;-)

 David> I don't really see what we are arguing about...

	Zigactly!

	manoj

--
 A starship ride has been promised to you by the galactic wizzard.