Re: Debian i386 freeze

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 04:33:45PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"David" == David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> 	Hmm. I stand corrected. If you truly want to get to the bottom
>  of things, however, I don't know if it possible, and indeed, is not
>  practical. We would need to hire professionals, which takes money,
>  unless we are luck enough to get people to work pro bono on this.

Well, for just one opinion on the one specific issue..  How about the
FSF's lawyer.  I would guess that RMS has asked him about this issue,
unless he is already sure of it.

> 	And then we have to do thie in every country where We could
>  get sued from.

A lawyer knowledgable about the issues at hand could probably tell us
about the tradeoffs involved.

> 	And then, that may not mean much since Brian brought up
>  enforceability. You see, merely a lawyers opinion may not be enough,
>  for the licences may not have been challenged on court.

A good lawyer would, I would think, be able to tell you "hmm the
courts are going to, with %100 certainty, act this way" or "well, this
issue is still up in the air as far as legal precedent is concerned".

Anyway, I think that the only "practical" thing that I could really
draw from this is the idea of asking RMS what he has learned from his
lawyer, if indeed they have spoken.  I guess I could write him, but I
think there are others who are possibly acquainted with him who might
be better able to communicate our wishes.

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org