Re: Having a non-free and a non-cd branch?

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 28, 1998 at 03:38:26PM -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> > Raul Miller wrote:
> >
> > > Sure: choosing to violate a license, or not, is a moral issue.
> > >
> > > But, note that this is also a legal issue.
> >
> > Ok the KDE license needs work I admit that is something they really need
> > to address.  With your permission I will forward key parts of this
> > dissuasion to them so they can address it.
> >
> > But the Qt licence is clear.
>
> Please save your time for more important thinks:
>
> KDE is FORCED to use the GPL as their license, because Qt "free" license
> forces the GPL on every project that uses it.
>
> So Qt forces the KDE project to violate their own license. KDE has no choice
> to choose another license.

You are being extremely paranoid surly that is not the indetion of the
Qt "free" in forcing  developers to use the GPL.  Also they don't force
users to use necessary the GPL just something in the same spirit as it
as they say: "Users of your software can obtain source code for the
software, freely modify the source code (possibly with restrictions on
copyright notices, attributions and legal responsibility), and freely
redistribute original or modified versions of the software."  When they
say under the GPL tsurly hey only mean for program using Qt and not Qt
itself.