Re: Having a non-free and a non-cd branch?

On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 02:56:34PM -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> (Alex Yukhimets) wrote:
[...]
> > Another reason is that according to Debian "Social contract" (see
> > www.debian.org) this distribution is about "free" software and all the
> > non-free packages should be "punished" by not including them into
> > Debian Official CD.
>
> Now I REALLY don't like that idea.  I think that compines should be
> rewarded for distrubating there programs freely even if they are not
> willing to distribute them under the GPL licence.

non-free doesn't mean non-GPL. Please, read the Debian Free Software
Guidelines, there is our definition of "free" and "non-free" software.

> I think that the new K Desktop is a GREAT idea and should be worked into
> debian however that will never happen if you insist on keeping this
> policy.

KDE is in Debian's "contrib" section. It's not in "non-free". "contrib"
section is distributed in our official CDs.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es