Re: Having a non-free and a non-cd branch?

On Sun, Jun 28, 1998 at 09:29:46PM -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > > Ok the KDE license needs work I admit that is something they really need
> > > to address.  With your permission I will forward key parts of this
> > > dissuasion to them so they can address it.
> > >
> > > But the Qt licence is clear.
> >
> > Please save your time for more important thinks:
> >
> > KDE is FORCED to use the GPL as their license, because Qt "free" license
> > forces the GPL on every project that uses it.
> >
> > So Qt forces the KDE project to violate their own license. KDE has no choice
> > to choose another license.
>
> You are being extremely paranoid surly that is not the indetion of the
> Qt "free" in forcing  developers to use the GPL.  Also they don't force
> users to use necessary the GPL just something in the same spirit as it
> as they say: "Users of your software can obtain source code for the
> software, freely modify the source code (possibly with restrictions on
> copyright notices, attributions and legal responsibility), and freely
> redistribute original or modified versions of the software."  When they
> say under the GPL tsurly hey only mean for program using Qt and not Qt
> itself.

You are correct, sorry. However, for this reason KDE will dry out,
because the Free Software Community can take KDE, but KDE
can´t take Free Software.

As a side note, I´m not paranoid. Qt does not interest me in any
way, KDE sucks, too, if you ask for my personal opinion. I don´t
miss anything and think that we do well wihout both.

However, for the benefit of our users I don´t mind at all (and
think it is actually good) that KDE and Qt are package for Debian
and available on the CD resp. on the FTP site. I spent my time
in other projects but want to thank those people that package
QT and KDE for Debian for persons like you.

Marcus