Re: Yet another Linux distribution! :-)

On Sun, May 03, 1998 at 07:10:45PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Rev> How did you get sendmail to cooperate with dialup?
>
> 	What do you mean by cooperate? I send mail using sendmail
>  whenever I want to. On up-up, I do a sendmail -q. I download messages
>  using fetchmail. As to my sendmail config, I append my own config
>  file /etc/mail/sendmail.mc below.  Just edit out the HACK stuff, that
>  is mostly anti-spam and local hacks.

I'll save this message for use in my next sendmail configuration.
Unfortunately this thing is "standard" which means it won't go away and I'll
need to configure it somewhere sooner or later...  =>

> Rev> And sendmail is still not suited to being easy to configure.
>
> 	Fortunately, I do not find that to be the case. I have added
>  several local HACKs and uploaded them into /usr/lib/sendmail.cf/hacks;
>  and that was that. I found it quite easy to modify the guts of
>  sendmail behaviour that way.

I don't know how this works...

> 	I do know it is fashinable to slander pore ole sendmail ;-)

What, just because sendmail.cf looks like line noise?  =>

> Rev> sendmailconfig is "not that bad" but it's also "not that good" if
> Rev> the intent is for a person who doesn't know anything beyond that
> Rev> their smtp server is mail.ispdomain.com about it.
>
> 	Oh, well, I guess like UNIX, sendmail is not for people who
>  are not willing to scale the learning curve. And I do not personally
>  think that the sendmail learning curve is that bad (I think it is
>  easier than learning vi or ed ;-)

I don't like vi either..  =>  It's hard to use and the commands were
designed for a plain ASCII terminal with very bare screen manipulation
codes..  hehehe  Oh wait, it IS..  nevermind...

> Rev> ssmtp is the right solution it looks like, probably along with
> Rev> fetchmail and either procmail (this would IMO be preferred) or
> Rev> deliver..
>
> 	You mileage has evidently varied from mine.

Apparently so..  =>