Re: Yet another Linux distribution! :-)

On Sat, May 02, 1998 at 12:58:11PM +0000, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:
> You need MTA.  You just do.  But you don't need a complex MTA.  If you
> consider sendmail the standard to judge by, most everything is smaller,
> simpler, or better for personal systems.  My personal choice for an MTA is
> qmail.  The savings in configuration and maintenance (or lack of needing to
> do either) far outweighs the time required to wait and watch it compile.

qmail has weird licensing and completely-DFSG was part of Jim's goals.
I think smail or exim would do fine. smail is reasonably straightforward,
although requires some pretty hideous tricks to do some fairly simple
things (like different alias files per domain). exim and smail are both
easy to set up with the provided configuration programs though
(which seem pretty much identical in my limited experience).

> You DON'T need a news server.  slrn is a good thing here!

Any newsreader, for that matter -- rtin, for example.

Hamish (not personally planning any news dists right now :-)