Re: make most files conffiles?

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> Roderick Schertler wrote:
> > Why not make most files conffiles?  If the admin changes a file it
> > seems to me that treating it with dpkg's conffile handling would be
> > much better than the current behavior of silently losing the changes.
>
> Too much overhead, I'd think.

Right. Numbers:

100000 files on the system, 80 characters per file for storing the
md5sum: 8 MB.

Whenever a package is installed, the md5sums for all already installed
files that will be changed by the new package (version) are to be
computed. This will make installations on slow computers even more
slower.

I think we should follow FSSTND that mandates that /usr is read-only
for the admin.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>