Re: Q: Location of copyrighted ROM images for emulator packages?

Manoj:>
> Hi,
> >>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@purdue.edu> writes:
>
> Branden> [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>] On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at
> Branden> 11:52:37PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
> >>  I think that the proper path should just be /usr/local/lib/ or
> >> /usr/local/lib/xtrs/ or something. Emacs adds stuff to the load
> >> path like "/usr/local/lib/emacs/site-lisp".

These are just (possibly) machine local config files that are
not in /etc since they do not belong into /etc.

> Branden> I think the user should be able to call the ROMs whatever
> Branden> (s)he wants if the path to them includes /usr/local,
> Branden> absolutely yes.  If the ROMs are going under /usr proper,
> Branden> then no -- the user doesn't get to control the names of
> Branden> anything that goes there anyway.

I *think* I agree, but more to the point is that /usr *may* be
a read-only system and neither user or admin has no right to
write there.

[snip a lot by manoj & branden, also policy & FSSTND quotes]

> 	Should you treat these roms as conf files then? if users are
>  to replace the original file with a local one, then an update should
>  not wipe their roms. Correct?

Configuration files need not be in /etc, all that the quote said
was that files in /etc are config files.

Easier way would be to generate the zero length files, if needed.
This way you should also check these on package removal and rm if
they are the default variety.

This has the advantage that roms are not part of package and
you can heve a separate package of roms when you feel the need.

> Branden> I guess what I'm really saying is, I think I should put them
> Branden> somewhere other than /usr/local.  Given that, where should
> Branden> they go?  /usr/lib/xtrs? /usr/X11R6/lib/xtrs?  /var/lib/xtrs
> Branden> (can't see why, the ROMs *can* change, but they're unlikely
> Branden> do so very often)?
>
> 	None of the above, I think ;-(, /var is indeed wrong, the roms
>  do not chage that frequently.
>
> 	/etc, or /usr/local: your choice.

not /etc, they *definitely* are data, not configuration

how often you think this will change?
  /var/lib/dosemu:
  total 2999
  drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Oct  5 09:31 .
  drwxr-xr-x  28 root     root         1024 Feb 11 19:38 ..
  -rw-r--r--   1 root     root      1474560 Jan 17  1997 diskimage.fdos
  -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       436352 May  5  1997 hdimage
  -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       235648 Jan 17  1997 hdimage.fdos
  -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       465024 Sep 15 16:26 hdimage.first

yes, at initial setup only

I would put it under /var/lib/xtrs but I would (just barely) understand
/usr/local/lib/xtrs even though it was vendor (Debian) supplied sw
and contains no machine specific things

t.aa