Re: Q: Location of copyrighted ROM images for emulator packages?

Hi,
>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

Marcus> On Sat, Feb 21, 1998 at 06:36:20PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava
Marcus> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If the ROMs are adta, and not conf files, then how do we solve the
>> issue of never overwriting a user provided rom? If you create a
>> zero length file in /var/lib/Blah, and I overwrite it, and then I
>> upgrade or re-install, are my chages gone? If so, it is a bug in
>> the package.

Marcus> As I see it, policy does not state that conf files have to
Marcus> reside in /etc. And not all files in /etc are conf
Marcus> files. There is in fact only a semi strong correlation between
Marcus> /etc and conf files.

	AARRGGHH. This is WRONG> Not only did you not read the policy
 manual, you blithely ignored the policy when someone quoted it for
 you. Please do not spread misinformation. Policy is clear on this
 regards.

Marcus> Am I missing something? What is wrong about:

	Yes, Policy. Let me requote the policy manual to you.

 3.3.7. Configuration files
 --------------------------

Any configuration files created or used by your package should reside
in `/etc'. If there are several you should consider creating a
subdirectory named after your package.

	Do you, then, interpret it differently from how I did? How can
 policy be made more unambiguous?

Marcus> 1) Zero conf files in /usr/lib/<package> An option to fetch
Marcus> and install the roms via ftp in the postinst and a warning
Marcus> that one should keep the files if dpkg asks to replace them in
Marcus> future upgrades.

	If they are not conf files, dpkg shall *NOT ASK*. Please read
 the Packaging manual.

	manoj
 concerned about how little developers know about our policies as
 spelled out in the policy manual
--
 It is good to have companions when occasion arises, and it is good to
 be contented with whatever comes. Merit is good at the close of life,