Re: Q: Location of copyrighted ROM images for emulator packages?

On Sat, Feb 21, 1998 at 06:36:20PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	If the ROMs are adta, and not conf files, then how do we solve
>  the issue of never overwriting a user provided rom? If you create a
>  zero length file in /var/lib/Blah, and I overwrite it, and then I
>  upgrade or re-install, are my chages gone? If so, it is a bug in the
>  package.

As I see it, policy does not state that conf files have to reside in /etc.
And not all files in /etc are conf files. There is in fact only a semi
strong correlation between /etc and conf files.

Am I missing something? What is wrong about:

1) Zero conf files in /usr/lib/<package>
2) An option to fetch and install the roms via ftp in the postinst
   and a warning that one should keep the files if dpkg asks to replace them
   in future upgrades.

If a sysadmin does not like this, he can install the roms under /usr/local
and use command line arguments. If it is okay for him, everything is kept
under distribution area.

What I don't like is this "half-legal" (missing better word, sorry) play
with /usr/local...

Just my 2 euros,
Marcus