Translate Debian... Anyone interested? (was: Re^2: Link to Japanese Debian?)

On Aug 02, Steve Dunham wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 01, Steve Dunham wrote:
> > >
> > > FYI, if your locale is set to 'de' the files in
> > >    /usr/X11/lib/X11/de/app-defaults
> > > will override the usual ones.  (So you can localize some X applications.)
> > > It would be nice if someone could translate XTerm, etc. into various
> > > languages...
> > >
> > > Steve
> > > dunham@cps.msu.edu
> >
> > Does anybody more about it? I tried it out, but couldn't get it to work.
> > The documentation lacks.
>
> Works for me.  As root do:
>
>  install -m 755 -d /usr/X11/lib/X11/de/appdefaults
>  cp /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm /usr/X11/lib/X11/de/app-defaults
>
> Translate the "de" one into German, then try:
>
>  setenv LANG de
>  xterm

OK, now it works: I had problems with setting the environment.

I will right start to translate the app-defaults, that I have installed.
I will try to think about other possibilities.

Are there more people interested in "foreign" debian?
Perhaps we could start a mailing list or so.

> > About locale settings:
>
> > How about a groub of interested people, that think a bit about a standard
> > way to internationalize Debian?
>

> > BTW: What languages can we supply? We have english, and surely
> > enough people to work on french and german. perhaps spanish,
> > polish, italian? ...?
>
> Japanese may be a bit of a problem (until we have proper locale
> support for it). You have to convince the system that LANG
> is "ja" before Xt turns on the wide character support...

I think japanese is something very special... Do they have special
keyboards with -+-
               ,|.  on them ? I don't know anything 'bout it.

Thank you, Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."
Marcus Brinkmann