Re: Re^2: Link to Japanese Debian?

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Aug 01, Steve Dunham wrote:
> >
> > FYI, if your locale is set to 'de' the files in
> >    /usr/X11/lib/X11/de/app-defaults
> > will override the usual ones.  (So you can localize some X applications.)
> > It would be nice if someone could translate XTerm, etc. into various
> > languages...
> >
> > Steve
> > dunham@cps.msu.edu
> Does anybody more about it? I tried it out, but couldn't get it to work.
> The documentation lacks.

Works for me.  As root do:

 install -m 755 -d /usr/X11/lib/X11/de/appdefaults
 cp /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm /usr/X11/lib/X11/de/app-defaults

Translate the "de" one into German, then try:

 setenv LANG de

> About locale settings:

> How about a groub of interested people, that think a bit about a standard
> way to internationalize Debian?

> BTW: What languages can we supply? We have english, and surely
> enough people to work on french and german. perhaps spanish,
> polish, italian? ...?

Japanese may be a bit of a problem (until we have proper locale
support for it). You have to convince the system that LANG
is "ja" before Xt turns on the wide character support...