Re: Translate Debian... Anyone interested? (was: Re^2: Link to Japanese Debian?)

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Aug 02, Steve Dunham wrote:

> I will right start to translate the app-defaults, that I have installed.
> I will try to think about other possibilities.

Cool.  I have fond memories of running my Amiga in German... (Ich habe
ein bi.AN_chen Deutsch studiert.  Ich kann es lesen, und ich kann auf
Deutch schrieben, aber nicht sehr gut - zu wenig habe ich gelernt, und
zu viel habe ich vergessen...)

> Are there more people interested in "foreign" debian?
> Perhaps we could start a mailing list or so.

> > Japanese may be a bit of a problem (until we have proper locale
> > support for it). You have to convince the system that LANG
> > is "ja" before Xt turns on the wide character support...

> I think japanese is something very special... Do they have special
> keyboards with -+-
>                ,|.  on them ? I don't know anything 'bout it.

Japanese is special, but you can type it on any keyboard.  Data entry
clerks in Japan use special keyboards with the hiragana on them
(a Japanese phonetic alphabet), but most engineers use the "normal"
latin keyboard.  What you do is press a special key to begin japanese
input, type the words in a romanized version of the hiragana:

  watashi ha nihongono gakusei desu.

They appear in hiragana:

  $B$o$?$7$O$K$[$s$4$N$,$/$;$$$G$9!#(B

And you press yet another special key to turn the phonetic words into
Kanji:

  $B;d$OF|K\8l$N3X@8$G$9!#(B

(.AN\bersetzung: "Ich bin ein Student des Japanisch".)

I've only studied Japanese for 2 months, so I really don't know
much about the language.

There is a mailing list for the Toyko Linux Users group, which has a
lot of Debian users, but they have very few native Japanese speakers.
(They could probably help find Japanese resources for a localization
effort.)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu