Re: doom policy: wiki or svn repository? (also: formats)

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 16:46 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

> > First, Does this only apply to "Doom", or all Doom engine
> > games, including heretic and hexen based derivatives ?
>
> Currently only doom as the derivative engines are not
> suitable for inclusion in main or non-free with their
> current licence, although I think it's worth considering the
> implications on heretic and hexen (and derived) games should
> their licence change (and I've been working on having their
> licences change for some time).

I've gone the pragmatic route, and am identifying all remaining raven
licensed files in my project, to schedule them for re-implementation.
Realistically speaking, doom is fine, heretic has some minor work, and
hexen, well, without more developers, that won't happen soon.

> > Regarding the alternatives system, I feel it is an
> > over-engineered solution. Under your setup, it is
> > impossible to play both doom2.wad from id software, and
> > freedoom without changing the wad under alternatives
>
> The alternatives system does not prevent you from selecting
> an IWAD explicitly: it just means that if you apt-get
> install a doom-engine and one of freedoom or a doom IWAD (by
> whatever means), you don't have to specify -iwad to have the
> engine "just work". For example, freedoom puts it's IWAD at
> /usr/share/games/freedoom.
>
> > (not something I'd expect a new user to do). I feel a
> > better solution is simply to install freedoom as
> > freedoom.wad.
>
> The problem there is, if you have freedoom installed but not
> an official doom, none of the ports will work without
> explicitly specifying -iwad. Ideally someone can apt-get
> install an engine and either freedoom or their own iwad and
> fire up an engine without having to fiddle with -iwad
> (unless they want to).

Well, my port will complain if you don't specify which IWAD (and which
game) you want. We've created a cross platform launcher for it, that
one-day I'll get around to packaging. Perhaps a small patch for those
ports so if doom2.wad does not exist, try freedoom.wad before quiting
with an error ?

> > PWAD installation:
> > So that all engines can benefit from and utilise the
> > pwads, I would like install the pwads like this
> > /usr/share/games/doom/pwad-$GAME-$NAME for example
> > /usr/share/games/doom/pwad-doom1-2002ado
> > /usr/share/games/doom/pwad-doom2-av
> > /usr/share/games/doom/pwad-hexen-caldera
>
> Are those proposed directory names, or filenames?

Directory names. We should discuss what to use for $GAME as there are
wads that use just doom1 or doom2 features, boom compatible, deng only
wads, heretic, hexen, zdoom etc, and not all engines can read them.

GPG/PGP signed mail preferred. No HTML mail. No MS Word attachments
PGP Key ID 0x4B6E7209
Fingerprint E1FD 9D7E 6BB4 1BD4 AEB9 3091 0027 CEFA 4B6E 7209