Re: splashy in default desktop environment(was: The project is dead?)

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 05:36:57AM -0400, Luis wrote:
> I agree with you on this. Grub's default and if /boot/grub/menu.lst is
> found, one could safely assume that the user is using it. The next
> thing would be to ask the user whether he/she wants Splashy to
> automatically add the options needed and whether to automatically
> detect what's the best resolution for the system (maybe even give the
> user examples right in the text for the debconf question and let them
> type something like: vga=791)

1. Is there are resolution which works well for everybody?

2. Why does one not have to add vga= to Ubuntu's grub line?  Ubuntu is
using usplash AFAIK, and this seems like a compelling argument to maybe
evaluate it again?  Or are they just overriding things in their kernel?

> Splashy works flawlessly. The only problems we have are with
> initramfs. But running Splashy from regular init works fine.

Well, AFAIK Debian stock kernels use initramfs.

> There might be a bit of text displayed for some users depending on
> what drivers they need for their hardware (quiet doesn't quite cut all
> messages from the boot process before init takes over).

I don't think that is a big problem, giving how the boot process looked
until now.  It might be nice to address this for etch+1, though.

Michael