Re: splashy in default desktop environment(was: The project is dead?)

On 8/25/06, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 11:01:02PM -0400, Luis wrote:
> The problem is that this assumes the user is running grub.

I don't see the problem.  GRUB is Debian's default boot loader.  If
people are using something else, they should configure those themselves.
Adding documentation on how to do this would be nice, of course.

I agree with you on this. Grub's default and if /boot/grub/menu.lst is
found, one could safely assume that the user is using it. The next
thing would be to ask the user whether he/she wants Splashy to
automatically add the options needed and whether to automatically
detect what's the best resolution for the system (maybe even give the
user examples right in the text for the debconf question and let them
type something like: vga=791)

Same for changing menu.lst: I think this feature should work out of the
box on new systems where the user selects the desktop task *IF* splashy
is really ready and the kernel bootcmd options do not break other
systems.  If there is no easy way to change people's current menu.lst,
then we should maybe just mention it in the release notes (and otherwise
pimp it in blogs, on DWN, etc.)

Splashy works flawlessly. The only problems we have are with
initramfs. But running Splashy from regular init works fine. There
might be a bit of text displayed for some users depending on what
drivers they need for their hardware (quiet doesn't quite cut all
messages from the boot process before init takes over). As usual, we
can tweak the initramfs-tools package to NOT show any of those
messages if, say, "quiet" was passed as a kernel param. I'd love to
have an "extraquiet" option that redirects all to /dev/null ;-)

--
Luis Mondesi

Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html