Re: small patch for dakdb update scripts

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009, Allan Lyons wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 10:38:11AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Only if you have all the patches from my bugfixes branch, this one in
> > particular:
> > http://git.debian.org/?p=users/hertzog/dak.git;a=commitdiff;h=0262c823195e0e3334db1a554c7062e94ea01c62
>
> This bugfix branch now seems to be considerably behind the master branch
> on ftp-master.  It appears that parts of the code have gone in a
> slightly different direction with init_db.py and that patch will no
> longer fit.

Indeed but the recent changes changed the behaviour of dak init-db but the
responsible commit does not document why and does not tell if the new
behaviour makes more sense than the previous one.

(I updated my bugfixes branch anyway so that it applies again)

The responsible commit is this one:

commit 1af0343f2bcab92549d41426be7acd4fe7361206
Author: Mike O'Connor <stew@vireo.org>
Date:   Fri Mar 13 09:27:47 2009 -0400

    Revert "Revert "Merge commit 'stew/content_generation' into merge""

    reverting the reverting of the merge of content_generation so we can merge again

    This reverts commit aa63ea6814c83460abc4417f52ffdf5232431dd6.

This log message is indeed not helpful for anyone… after several jumps in the
history you can find some relevant commits:

* e47619471d54d20613d18bb8ac928650513ab404
  Joerg converts dak to use the new table instead of the configuration file but
  also converts init-db whose role is to populate the database.
* the merge fdf3c42445b4f11f4cd71634dd2b57cb7d7a4f36 reverts that behaviour
  and uses again the config entry Suite::<suite>::Architectures

> > > I get a key error on line 61 of update4.  suites is empty since the
> > > table is empty at that point.  However, Cnf.SubTree("Suite").List()
> > > returns something.
> >
> > That's not a problem as long as Suite::<suite>::Architectures doesn't
> > exist. And it doesn't exist in the config files in the repository.
>
> I see that now.  I guess I relied too much on README.config when setting up my files.

The updated code now makes again use of Suite::<suite>::Architectures… so I'm lost
at what the intent was with that configuration entry.

For me this information should not be in the config file any more and using it
in init-db is wrong. The configuration is in the DB and init-db should simply
provide a sane default configuration that can be later tweaked by the admin
(directly in the DB). That sane default configuration is "all the
architectures" listed in che configurantion file.

Can some dak leading developer pitch in and make dak usable for people that
want to set it up to help ?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/