Re: Mailing list headers

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 07:12:23PM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 12:53, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > That solution relies upon the person sending the reply being aware of
> > the original poster's preference so that he can select reply to
> > sender, reply to list, or reply to all accordingly.  Much better to
> > have a header which indicates the OP's desires in a form which MUAs
> > can understand so that responders don't have to worry about it.
>
> The original poster should not be able to dictate whether or not

I agree - the OP should not be able to force replies to go to a
specific destination.  He should, however, be able to indicate a
preference in a manner which can be recognized by MUAs and easily
overridden by responders.  For example, a MUA with a single 'reply to
default address' command which will reply to the reply-to: address if
one is set, then to the MFT: address, and finally to the from:
address if neither is present (or maybe do RT: and MFT: in the other
order); a second 'reply to sender' command which will always go to
the from: address regardless of other headers; and a third 'reply to
all' command which will go to all addresses present in the message's
headers.

My point is that, as the person responding to a message, I want my
MUA to be able to honor the OP's desires without requiring that I be
aware of them, while also being able to ignore them if I believe I
have a good reason to do so.

> In the doco at http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html it says that
> Mail-Followup-To causes _group_replies_ to be sent to the given address.
> In other words, it's identical to Reply-To. That's not quite the same
> thing.

My understanding of reply-to is that it causes _all_ replies to go to
the specified address, while MFT (as you say) should only affect
_group_ replies.  How does this make RT and MFT identical?  (Or am I
just misunderstanding you?)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that