Re: Mailing list headers

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 05:34, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> > > How do one get that behaviour in for example Netscape 7.0 ?
> >
> > You should not.  Mail-Followup-To is one man's questionable attempt to
> > replace the Reply-To header.  It is not standard.  No-one whose header is
> > ignored has grounds for complaint, really, if they didn't set Reply-To.
>
> Problem with Reply-To: headers and mailing lists is that *some* mailing
> lists modify it. This was one reason that mft was created. IIRC there
> were others, in connection with the meaning of Reply-To: being not
> specified clearly enough.

RFC 2369 specifies the List-Post header, which gives a URI to post to
the list (or the special value "NO", meaning posting to the list is not
allowed so don't bother). An intelligent mailer will send email to the
address specified in this header, if present, when its 'group reply' or
'reply to all' command is invoked.

Here you have a standard, well-defined, listserv-managed, specific, and
unambiguous way for all mail readers to know that a message was sent via
a list, and what to do when they want to reply to that list.

Instead of this political nonsense with Reply-To, and djb's incredibly
clueless Mail-Followup-To tripe, why can't we just use List-Post?

Alex.

P.S. No, I don't like djb. At all. His decision to forbid distribution
of binaries of his programs has to be one of the stupidest licensing
ideas a software engineer ever came up with. His assumption that qmail
is secure because no one claimed a fairly insignificant reward to crack
it is ludicrous and unfounded. And has anyone ever even _heard_ of
djbdns?

--
PGP Public Key: http://aoi.dyndns.org/~alex/pgp-public-key